MERS Virus outbreak in South Korea, triggers fear!

Source: Interaksyon.com

 

SEOUL, South Korea — More than 200 primary schools shut down Wednesday as South Korea struggled to contain an outbreak of the MERS virus that has infected 30, killed two and triggered widespread fear.

With the World Health Organization predicting further infections and the government under fire for its initial response, President Park Geun-Hye convened an emergency meeting with top health officials and medical experts to map out a comprehensive quarantine strategy.

Five new cases were reported overnight, making this the largest outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome outside Saudi Arabia, where the virus has killed more than 400 since 2012.

With new infections being reported on a daily basis, the outbreak has caused nationwide public alarm and seen fearful urban residents stocking up on face masks and hand sanitizers.

Dozens of public events have been cancelled, while more than 1,360 people who were exposed directly or indirectly to the virus have been placed under varying levels of quarantine.

Park has already scolded health officials for their “insufficient” initial response, during which one infected man managed to travel to China despite warnings from doctors.

MERS, which has no known cure or vaccine, is considered a deadlier but less infectious cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, which killed hundreds of people when it appeared in Asia in 2003.

Education Minister Hwang Woo-Yea said 209 primary schools had temporarily shut down, as he urged regional education heads to ensure student safety.

“Infection among students should be prevented at any cost … we need far stronger measures at schools than anywhere else,” Hwang said.

The two deaths reported so far were of a 58-year-old woman and a 71-year-old man.

The first, or “index” case — a 68-year-old man diagnosed after returning from a trip to Saudi Arabia — was reported on May 20.

“Given the number of clinics and hospitals that cared for the index case, further cases can be expected,” the WHO said in a statement from Geneva on Tuesday.

The health body said it was closely monitoring the outbreak of what it described as an “emerging disease that remains poorly understood.”

MERS has now infected 1,161 people globally, with 436 deaths. More than 20 countries have been affected, with most cases in Saudi Arabia.

 

Share

Junjun Binay sues Mar Roxas and Makati vice mayor for contempt!

Source: Interaksyon.com

MANILA, Philippines  – Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay on Thursday asked the Court of Appeals (CA) to cite Department of the Interior and Local Governments (DILG) Secretary Manuel Roxas and Makati City Vice Mayor Romulo “Kid” Peña in contempt for their continued refusal to honor the temporary restraining order (TRO) temporarily holding his suspension in abeyance.

In his petition, Binay also named as respondents, aside from Roxas and Pena, DILG-NCR Director Renato Brion, Metro Manila Police Chief Carmelo Valmoria, Southern Police District Director Henry Rañola and Senior Superintendent Elmer Jamias.

Atty. Claro Certeza, the mayor’s legal counsel, said the TRO issued Monday clearly indicated that the Ombudsman’s suspension order should not be implemented, but DILG went ahead and installed the vice mayor as acting mayor, deployed thousands of policemen and hampered the delivery of services to the public.

Binay noted that, despite the issuance of the restraining order on Monday, a police contingent, upon apparent orders of DILG and instructions from Valmoria and Jamias, the latter as the ground commander of the contingent, continued to barricade access to the Makati City Hall Building I along J.P. Rizal Avenue.

The police action was ostensibly for the purpose of implementing the enjoined order of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales suspending Binay for six months in connection with alleged anomaly in the construction of the P2.2 billion Makati Parking Building II.

“Despite due notice and receipt of the Honorable Court’s resolution granting petitioner’s application for the TRO on the joint order preventively suspending petitioner, respondents nevertheless willfully and maliciously ignored and refused to comply with the Honorable Court’s directive,” Binay said.

This continued defiance, Binay said, should be punished by the CA.

Binay petitioned that the respondents “… be cited in contempt of court and be meted out the maximum penalty under the law.”

Binay also slammed Roxas for his pronouncement that he would seek the opinion and guidance of Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Leila de Lima on the issue, pointing out that the DILG chief should not involve the Executive Branch in a matter that is already decided by a co-equal branch of government, the Judiciary.

Binay earlier belittled the suspension order saying that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales violated the law that created the Ombudsman, Republic Act 6770, which mandates that evidence of guilt must be strong before a preventive suspension order can be issued.

For its part, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said it has the same opinion as that of the Office of the Ombudsman regarding the validity of the 60-day temporary restraining order (TRO) issued by the Court of Appeals (CA) Monday enjoining the suspension of Binay.

DOJ Secretary Leila de Lima said the TRO has no legal force and effect, since it is already moot and academic because “the acts it sought to stop or restrained have already been accomplished … simply because before they were restrained, the Ombudsman had already issued the Joint Order and the DILG had already implemented the suspension of Mayor Binay.”

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) had administered the oath of office to Makati City Vice Mayor Romulo “Kid” Pena as acting city mayor on Monday morning, hours before the CA issued the TRO.

With this, De Lima said, Peña can continue performing his duties as acting Makati mayor.

Share

Jolo Revilla’s condition has gone for the worst!

Source: ABS-CBNNews.com 

MANILA – Cavite Vice-Governor Jolo Revilla apologized to his father on Tuesday as his condition continues to deteriorate after sustaining a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest last Saturday, a spokesman of the Revilla family said.

Atty. Raymond Fortun told reporters that the younger Revilla developed pneumonia on Monday and has abdominal distention. He said the latest CT scan showed that Revilla is suffering from pneumothorax (collapsed lung) of the left lung.

“Namumutla, he is in a lot more pain than yesterday,” Fortun said, adding that the vice-governor wept when he saw his dad, Sen. Bong Revilla, at the Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa City.

“His condition is definitely not improving. To be more specific, he is deteriorating.”

A total of 800cc of blood has been extracted from the younger Revilla since the weekend, he said.

He said the bullet entered Revilla’s right chest and exited his back.

Fortun said the vice-governor apologized to his dad after seeing him in the hospital,

“Pumasok si Senator Revilla, nakita po siya ng anak niya. He was lying on the bed and pagkaslabuong nung dalawa, yinakap ni senator si Jolo.”

“Ang sabi po ng bata: ‘Sorry, papa. I am sorry.’ Ang sagot po ni Senator Revilla: ‘It’s alright, anak. We have to be strong.’ That’s it.”

Fortun said the family is standing by its statement that the shooting was accidental and not a suicide.

Lolit Solis, a close friend of the Revillas, said Jolo has been depressed since his dad was detained at the Philippine National Police custodial center for plunder and graft in connection with the pork barrel scam.

Senator Revilla was given a special pass to leave detention from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. today to visit his son. Fortun said the senator asked if it is possible to get an extension from the anti-graft court but the lawyer said it would be impossible to get it immediately.

The younger Revilla is currently staying in a regular room to allow more visitors to visit him.

Share

Marian Rivera spends New Year with Dingdong and Dad!

Newly-wed Marian Rivera is spending her New Year’s Day with the two men she loves: her father Francisco Javier Gracia and husband Dingdong Dantes.

She posted the photos on her Instagram account:

marian-newyear

With the caption:

Happy New Year! ❤️ I Love you Both!

Share

22 year old Gerald Sibayan admits relationship with Ai-Ai delas Alas !

Gerald Sibayan, 22 years old, DSLU Badminton player, taking up Sports Management has just admitted that he is the new boytoy of Ai-Ai delas Alas who is turning 50 in November!

aibf

Ai-Ai was the team manager of DSLU Badminton team where his son studies. They got to know each other from there.

Gerald was asked if Ai-Ai is indeed his girlfriend and he replied:

“Opo. God bless you.”

Share

Mark Gil, 52, succumbed to cancer of the liver!

Actor Mark Gil (Ralph Eigenmann in real life) , 52, who rose to fame as an actor in the 80’s died due to the complications of liver cancer!

image

Gil is the father of Gabby Eigenmann, Maxine Eigenmann, Sid Lucero and Andi Eigenmann.

His family revealed that he has been battling liver cancer since 2012.

Condolence to the Eigenmann family!

Share

July 29, Regular Holiday in Celebration of the end of the holy month of Ramadan!

July 29 is declared a regular holiday in celebration of the end of the holy month of Ramadan!

President Aquino signed the Republic Act No. 9177 declared Eid’l Fitr (Feast of Ramadhan) as a regular holiday throughout the country.

Proclamation No. 826 said Eid’l Fitr is celebrated by the Muslim World for three days after the end of the month of fasting.

“To promote cultural understanding and integration, the entire Filipino nation should have the full opportunity to join their Muslim brothers and sisters in the observance and celebration of Eid’l Fitr,” the proclamation read.

Share

Annabelle Rama on Esther Lahbati: “Tumahik ka na, okay? Magdasal ka every day para wala ka nang bad vibes sa kata wan mo.”!

Annabelle Rama was surprised by Esther Lahbati’s social media rant and was clueless that she felt dismayed!

This is what Annabelle said:

“Wala kaming naramdamang buong pamilya na may galit siya sa amin. So nagulat kami na imbes ma-headline yung apo niya, siya yung na-headline. Siguro nga, uhaw siya sa publicity. Hayaan mo siya, nakatikim na siya ng headline, nakatikim na siya ng front page. Pero dapat hind niya ginagamit ang apo kasi araw ni Zion yun, e. Dapat hindi siya nakisawsaw sa gulo. Ang araw na yun, araw ng apo niya.”

On taking left over party foods:

“Yung pag-alok ko ng pagkain sa kanya, hindi naman masama yun, kasi number one kong ginagawa yun. Lahat ng party ko, pumupunta ako, lagi akong may baong tupperwear, kasi gusto ko talaga lechon.”

“Lahat doon natutuwa natutuwa, kanya-kanyang take out. Nasalubong ko si Esther. Sabi ko Esther, maraming mga tirang pagkain sa catering. Gusto mo mag take out?’ Hindi siya kumibo. Hindi ko alam, sumama na pala ang loob niya.”

“Sabi ko, bakit siya magagalit, e normal naman sa ating Pilipino yung ganun, na mag-take out naman talaga kung may maturation.”

Annabelle’s final message to Esther:

“Message ko sa iyo Esther, magdasal ka na lang at dalawin mo ang apo mo. Ilaro mo na lang siya para lahat ng negatibo sa katawan mo, mawala.”

“Tumahik ka na, okay? Magdasal ka every day para wala ka nang bad vibes sa katawan mo.”

Share

Carla Abellana and Tom Rodriguez teleserye “My Destiny” starts grinding!

The up-coming teleserye My Destiny of Carla Abellana and Tom Rodriguez has already started taping!

Capture

This is what Carla said of her second teleserye with Tom:

“Natutuwa kami. Sobra! Kasi… tuluy-tuloy ‘yong work namin together. Ibig sabihin kahit papa’no nagagawa namin nang maayos. Marami kaming napapasaya. Kaya nabibigyan kami ng chane na mag-work pa rin nang magkasama.”

“So, panibagong challenge ito sa amin. ‘Di ba dapat iba na naman ang mapapanood nila sa amin o makikita nila sa amin? Pero excited pa rin. With every project na ibinibigay sa ‘yo, dapat excited ka sobra.”

Soon on GMA 7!

Share

Vic Sotto on relationship with Pauleen Luna: ” . . . if you deal with me, you deal with all these people.”!

Vic Sotto turned 60 years old last April 28 and he was surprised with a Birthday Party!

vic-sotto-and-pauleen-luna-227x344
All his children were present and of course his current girlfriend Pauleen Luna was also there.

Last Sunday May 4, during the interview on GMA-7′s “Startalk” this is his thank you message:

“Thank you very much as inyong lahat, most especially kay Pauleen. Alam kong hindi rin ideal ang ating relationship. You have a lot to go through in dealing with me. Because if you deal with me, you deal with all these people.”

Be lated Happy Birthday Bossing!

Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...